- Origin and Homeland:
- The Dunmer are one of the races of Mer (Elves) in Tamriel. They were originally Chimer, a group of Aldmer (High Elves) who followed the teachings of the prophet Veloth and were transformed into the Dunmer by the Daedric Prince Azura.
- The Dunmer’s homeland is Morrowind, a region on the northeastern part of the continent of Tamriel.
- Culture and Society:
- Dunmer society is complex, with a strong influence from their religious beliefs and the worship of the Tribunal, three powerful god-like beings: Vivec, Almalexia, and Sotha Sil. These deities played a significant role in the history and culture of the Dunmer.
- The Great Houses, such as House Redoran, House Hlaalu, and House Telvanni, are powerful political and social entities in Dunmer society, each with its own values and traditions.
- The Dunmer revere their ancestors and maintain a strong connection to the spirits of the dead. Ancestor worship is a crucial aspect of their religious practices.
- Daedra worship is also prevalent among the Dunmer, with Azura being one of the most revered Daedric Princes. The events surrounding the transformation from Chimer to Dunmer are tied to Azura’s curse.
- Dunmer typically have ash-gray skin, reflecting the volcanic nature of Morrowind. Their eyes can be red or, in some cases, blue.
- Their appearance is distinct from other Elves in Tamriel, setting them apart in terms of aesthetics.
- Conflicts and History:
- Morrowind has faced various conflicts throughout its history, including the eruption of the Red Mountain and the resulting destruction of the city of Vivec.
- The Dunmer have played significant roles in various Elder Scrolls games, such as Morrowind, where the player takes on the role of the Nerevarine, a prophesied hero.
While the Dunmer share some thematic elements with the Drow, such as a connection to darkness and complex societal structures, they are distinct entities with their own unique lore and history in The Elder Scrolls universe. If there have been any developments or additions to the lore since my last update, I recommend checking more recent sources or official Elder Scrolls materials for the latest information.